Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Stupidest Angel film!

The Stupidest Angel is one of my all time favourite absurdist fiction. Written by Christopher Moore, who has hardly ever written a bad book (Fool was pretty bad though). So I felt a tinge of excitement and dread when while surfing IMDB I noticed there was an entry for it.

Yes, The Stupidest Angel is being adapted into a film and they are currently in pre-production phase. All of Christopher Moore's books has been optioned for film adaptation, but this is the first to be in danger of being made into one.

Casting for certain key characters has already been announced, with Tyler Labine lined up to play Theo Crow. Somehow I can't imagine Tyler Labine as Theo, the stoner constable of Pine Cove, the California town where The Stupidest Angel is set. I know Tyler Labine looks like a stoner, but he just doesn't look like a Theo, who I always imagined as malnourished and kinda sad looking. Still, it could be worse.

The fantastic Dina Meyer will be playing Molly Michon, the former B-movie scream queen aka Kendra, Warrior Babe of the Outland, who we saw last hooked up with a sea monster in The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove before settling down with Theo. I haven't seen a film with Dina Meyer for years, perhaps since Starship Troopers, so it is nice to know there is at least one film I am watching in the future which will feature her.

(I know I am basically giving up the plot away here, but whatever. If you haven't read The Stupidest Angel yet then well it's your loss. Besides the plot isn't that important anyway, it was the characterisation and jokes that stood out in the book. Plus IKEA loving zombies.)

William Fichtner as the evil developer Dale Pearson is just brilliant casting. I, for one, can't wait to see how he plays the rise from the dead again Zombie Santa Dale when our favourite dim Angel strikes.

I am not familiar with Colin Ferguson who will play Tucker Case. Tucker is basically a geek who is trapped in a cool guy's body, and Colin Ferguson at least looks the part. .

The casting of the titular Archangel Raziel has not been announced, but I have you know, while Raziel is pretty stupid, he is also incredible handsome and beautiful or so the Levy known as Biff, the companion of Jesus of Nazareth, claimed in the Lamb gospel. And I expect no less, including full Terminator-esque trench coat.

The film will have a director who I have never heard attached to it, so I reckon it will be a low budget film. Which is fine by me. The Stupidest Angel was after all a 'low budget' book, and certainly reads like a B-movie film in a book sort of thing. Go read it now.

No comments: