Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Nokia E55 unboxing

While the current trend and talk of the mobile phone industry is the touchscreen, here is one unit that does not feature one and that I am generally very very excited for. It is Nokia's first ever half QWERTY phone. Instead of a standard 12 numerical keypad, the Nokia E55 has a Blackberry Pearl-esque 20-key keypad. RIM calls theirs the SureType, Nokia calls it the half-QWERTY. Whatever the keypad is called, I have had my eyes on this device since it was announced early this year.

You don't get much with the E55's sales package. Just a microUSB AC charger, a stereo headset for hands-free calling, a microUSB data cable and some usual bits and bops of papers with legalese stuff and the odd manual. Well those and the phone, with a large 1500mAh BP-4L battery and 2GB microSD card already sitting inside the device's sole microSDHC slot.

One of the reasons why I am genuinely excited of the E55 - it has battery slot that is capable of accepting a standard BP-4L in a body that is smaller and lighter than the majority of none-smartphones. It is an engineering marvel. I can't see how Nokia has managed to get a 600Mhz ARM11 processor, 3.2 Megapixel camera, quad band GSM, dual band 3G with HSDPA, GPS receiver, digital compass, acceleromer, WiFi, Bluetooth and microSDHC slot into a device that is smaller and lighter than my trusty old E51, but they did.

Look out for a review sometime next week as I put it through my usual pace.

1 comment:

cheap dsi r4 said...

Don't buy the N97mini its gonna be better if u buy the E55. I also like the phone.